Administration & Personnel
Annual Operating Budget
- Fiscal Year 2017/2018 - $6,054,873.74
The job of a firefighter is a challenging and rewarding career. Storey County firefighters provide the following services to businesses, residents and visitors in the county:
- Fire Prevention: Including plan reviews, re-models, residential and all other fire safety plans.
- Building Inspections: These are required and completed on an annual basis for every commercial structure within the County.
- Fire Suppression: Including structure, wild land, vehicle and hazardous materials.
- Search and Rescue: Specific to fires, building collapse, etc.
- Hazardous Materials Response: This is in cooperation with the “Quad County Hazardous Materials Team” comprised of Storey, Lyon, Douglas and Carson.
- Natural Disaster Response: Including flooding, earthquakes, wind storms and winter snow emergencies.
- EMS (Emergency Medical Services): Provided to sick or injured individuals prior to their admission to a hospital
Our firefighters consistently work with attention to detail in carrying out emergency needs with respect and compassion. Additionally, as you may expect, firefighting is physically demanding. Firefighters carry 80-100 lbs. of equipment, such as axes, hoses, ladders and chain saws.
Storey County Fire Protection District offers full-time employees a comprehensive selection of attractive benefits including:
- Employer paid health insurance
- Retirement plans
- Biweekly paychecks
- Incentive programs
- Vacation and sick time accruals
Nevada Firefighter Inter-agency Recruitment and Examination is a screening and testing program sponsored by a consortium of Northern Nevada fire departments designed to test and select firefighters and firefighter / paramedics. The program uses standard testing procedures for entry level firefighters and firefighter / paramedics.
The consortium is administered by the collaborative efforts of Human Resources and fire departments of:
- Carson City Fire Department
- Central Lyon County Fire Protection Districts
- North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District
- Storey County Fire Department
- Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District
Standard Operating Guidelines
Each of our staff members abides by a number of Standard Operating Guidelines in an effort to maintain the highest level of consistency, service to our community and commitment to our profession. We invite you to review these operating procedures that govern the personnel standing by to serve you.