Storey County's beautiful courthouse was built in 1876. The first county courthouse was destroyed in the Great Fire of October 1875. A life-sized figure of lady justice stands as sentry at the entrance.
Smoking is not permitted within 25 feet of the courthouse building.
Many people are unfamiliar with a courtroom. To help make your visit a more pleasant experience and to enhance safety, you must adhere to the following restrictions. Court personnel will not store prohibited items for you.
- No weapons of any kind are allowed in the building. Law enforcement officers are exempt.
- No bags are allowed in the courtroom. This includes, but is not limited to, purses, backpacks, totes, diaper bags.
- Briefcases, oxygen tanks/holders, wheelchairs, and other external devices are subject to search.
- No food items, beverages, or even chewing gum are allowed in the courtroom.
- No cell phones or any other other electronic devices are allowed in the courtroom.
- Refrain from talking or whispering in the courtroom while court is in session. Court proceedings are recorded and/or transcribed by a court reporter, and noise can interfere with preparation of this important record.
- COMMUNICATION WITH IN-CUSTODY DEFENDANTS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- The courtroom is not a comfortable place for children. Unless a child is required to appear for a hearing, arrange for child care during your visit to our courtroom.
- You don't have to wear a suit to court, but do wear appropriate attire.
- Clothing which displays offensive slogans or pictures is not allowed.
- Do not wear tank tops, shorts, or anything which displays a midriff.
- Do not wear sunglasses in the courtroom.
- Hats must be removed before entering the courtroom unless the hat is worn in accordance with religious beliefs.
Media groups must follow the Nevada Supreme Court Rules on Camera and Electronic Media Coverage. Please refer to Nevada Supreme Court Rules, Part IV, Rule 229 through 247.Parking is on the south side of the courthouse.